Disgust with MP expenses could help the BNP

13 May 2009, by Guest in Equality, International, Politics

People are understandably disillusioned with politicians from all the main parties as they learn how some have played the expenses system.

It would be only natural to say a plague on all their houses and make a protest by refusing to vote in the forthcoming elections. Norman Tebbit has come very close to saying this.

But this would be a big mistake. Refusing to vote will not stop a single councillor or MEP getting elected. Instead it will simply make it much more likely that extremists – particularly those peddling race hate and intolerance – will be elected. This is a particular danger in the Euro-elections where the proportional system allows people to get elected on a relatively small share of the vote.

Mainstream politicians now know that the system has to change. Sending racists to the European Parliament will do nothing to reform the Commons.

We have a problem in our democracy, but the problem has to be solved by more democracy, not by electing extremists.

12 Responses to Disgust with MP expenses could help the BNP

1. Henry
    May 14th 2009, 9:31 pm

I will be voting BNP this EU election maybe i wouldnt have to but the three mainstream parties are all the same they are just pigs with their snouts in the trough and its the best possible time to kick the mainstream parties in the ballots for destroying our culture or nation and our identity and Mrs Harmans Pollitically Correct equality bill confirmed i should vote BNP!

2. johninnit

John
    May 15th 2009, 9:15 am

Henry, it’s not a case of ‘having to’ vote BNP. Voting for them is saying you agree with their programme. There are plenty of other alternatives in the smaller parties, where a few votes in this election could make the difference for them getting some seats, given it’s on the party list voting method as Brendan says here – it’s not just a protest vote, but has a real chance of influence for those parties.

If you’re to the left, there’s the greens. If you’re to the right, choose UKIP. That’s not to mention No2EU, SSP, SNP, Plaid etc. Please drop this fiction that ordinary otherwise decent people are being somehow forced into backing a nasty bunch of racist thugs (“I’m not racist but…”) through a lack of alternatives to our 2 1/2 party system.

3. Henry
    May 15th 2009, 11:37 am

They have my vote regardless of them being so called “racist thugs” which there is no eveidence of! and they have my vote because this rediculous political correctness has to end and the BNP work well as a pressure group to force the mainstream parties back into real politics rather than pandering to every minority the government possibly can.

I never thought i would vote BNP but its gone to too far i will vote for them in the EU elctions but not general election.

4. What does the MP expenses scandal mean for politics? | ToUChstone blog: A public policy blog from the TUC
    May 15th 2009, 6:26 pm

[…] Brendan says there are grave dangers that the BNP will benefit, though other minor parties will do well too in […]

5. Alex Erskine
    May 20th 2009, 4:35 pm

Citing the main parties’ failure to address the needs of ‘ordinary, decent people’ as a prompt for voting BNP is daft. Reasons are not causes.
    We vote BNP either because we have studied their policies in depth and decided that they best represent our vision for the future of the UK; or because we harbour resentments against foreigners and non-whites and have identified an outlet for that resentment.
    We are flawed. We are not outstanding moralists, so far ahead of those working in mainstream politics as to leave them behind.
    If we vote BNP we are racists. Have the bollocks to admit it.

6. Robert
    May 21st 2009, 10:24 am

Yes I will admit it if I was to vote BNP it would be due to me being racist, since i shall not be voting BNP then I’m not being a racist dum ass who cannot see past his own nose.

I will be voting greens even though I do not think they will win, after 44 years in the labour party, I’ve had enough.

But to vote BNP you must be crazy mad.

7. Alex Erskine
    May 21st 2009, 11:20 am

Robert – I agree with you. It is a madness to vote BNP. If people’s quality of life improved by voting BNP then I could see why they might do it. But I suspect that it will achieve a siege mentality in people.

I think it shows integrity, rather than naivety or idealism, to express green or socialist politics. I’ve always voted Labour, but it’s been clear for many years that the party is embarrassed by its union affiliations. I hope I have the integrity to vote for a socialist party, and not tread the familiar path and vote Labour.

For those who vote BNP to claim they’re not racist is madness. If they’re daft and not racist – then I get it.

8. tim rice
    May 21st 2009, 2:13 pm

we were 10 crane drivers. we have now been made redundant.now there are 10 polish driving our cranes . i will definetley be voting b n p

9. Alex Erskine
    May 21st 2009, 2:32 pm

The Poles are leaving Britain at the fastest rate since…well, ever. I hope you get your jobs back. But please be aware that your firm are prepared to undercut your wages for cheaper workers. Do you think the BNP have a policy to make firms pay their workers a living and dignified wage? Even if the BNP have a policy to keep jobs in Britain for British people, employers will always seek the cheapest labour. Yours have just demonstrated that by sacking you. It follows that the problem isn’t immigrant labour, but greedy employers.

10. george
    May 21st 2009, 10:54 pm

I support the right of every ethnic group on earth to protect and promote it’s own culture history and identity.
    I will be voting BNP precisely because no other party represents the native inhabitants of this land.

The rest actively encourage selling out our blood earned rights to the EU and allow uncontrolled immigration to satisfy big business demands for cheap labour which have turned large parts of our major towns and cities to become alien environments.

11. Jeff
    Jun 7th 2009, 7:13 pm

I’m a little confused at those calling the BNP Racists – I’ve just read through policies on all the main parties, and I can’t find much evidence of racist policies anywhere on the BNP website.

It appears to me to be a valid reflection of how many of the British public feel…don’t quite understand where the racist side of things really comes into it.

rac⋅ism  [rey-siz-uhm]
    –noun
    1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one’s own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
    2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
    3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

At no point in the BNP Policy list (I do not have a full copy of their manifesto, but I’ll wager that you don’t either!) is there any mention of the above, but more a leaning towards a suggestion of equality.

I must make it clear that I have not voted BNP, and in the European elections I was unfortunately out of the country at the time I was required to register, which I missed, so I’m a non-voter, which is disappointing.

I agree that voting BNP just because there isn’t an alternative choice is a little bit silly, but like I say, when I walk round the corner and speak to the business owners, parents, families, children and my friends across the country…..nobody is happy with how things are, and everyone says “it’s ridiculous isnt it, I dont have any democratic rights” or at least words to that effect.

I can’t see that a frankly weak suggestion that the BNP are Nazi’s or Racists really stands up. I have my misgivings about them, and they’re probably as full of sh*t as every other Party, but so far I don’t see any evidence that they would do anything but the world of good for BRITISH BORN PEOPLE (and that includes ‘racial minorities’ if they were born here….think about it…)

I don’t find many of the arguments against the BNP on this discussion thread particularly well researched nor compelling. I think you might need to do more homework chaps.

Tata for now.

12. johninnit

John
    Jun 8th 2009, 8:19 am

Hi Jeff,

Yes – you won’t find them coming out in more recent writings about the racism at the core of the party, which isn’t surprising as I don’t imagine Nick Griffin fancies a second conviction for inciting racial hatred, like the one he got in ’98 (though he did manage to get off a similar charge in ’06).

You have to look at their longer term stuff. Their constitution says the party is “committed to stemming and reversing the tide of non-white immigration”, and is “is wholly opposed to any form of racial integration between British and non-European peoples”. Its last manifesto at a general election called for white British people to be given first chance at jobs and services, the basics of an apartheid system. Here’s a list from Searchlight of some past BNP leaders’ quotes: http://www.hopenothate.org.uk/the-real-bnp/the-BNP-in-their-own-words.php

You have to look at their mates. They hang out with international unsavouries like US white supremicists and former top Klansmen David Duke and Don Black, as well as the National Alliance. They co-ordinate with other euro neo-fascists as the UK arm of the European National Front.

You have to look at their activists: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Joc2IwXiog0 or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxsT9geBp2E or http://lancasteruaf.blogspot.com/2009/06/east-midlands-bnp-officer-on-nazi-night.html or http://kirkunity.blogspot.com/2009/06/bnp-man-i-sell-german-militaria-but-im.html or http://lancasteruaf.blogspot.com/2009/06/sick-glee-at-racist-beatings.html or http://norfolkunity.blogspot.com/2009/06/sickness-at-heart-of-bnp.html to just pull a few examples from recent weeks.

And it’s not a huge leap to presume all this is connected to what they might want to do if they ever got the chance.