The Libraries Modernisation Programme has been a victim of today’s cuts.
The £12 million cut will affect libraries across the country. The last Government’s library modernisation review aimed to:
- Drive the quality of all library services up to the level of the best
- Reverse the current trend of decline in library usage and grow the numbers using the library service
- Respond to limited public resources and economic pressures
- Respond to a 24/7 culture and to changing expectations of people who want immediate access to information
- Grasp the opportunities presented by digitisation
- Demonstrate to citizens, commentators and politicians that libraries are still relevant and vital
We will report on the impact that today’s cuts will have on this strategy as further details emerge.