Cuts Watch #85: union responses
Union websites are an increasingly important source of information for anyone reporting on the cuts.
- ‘Defend Higher Education’ – an alliance of UCU, EIS, GMB, UNISON and Unite – reveals that most higher education institutions face a funding cut, with £518 million cut from university budgets.
- UCU’s ‘Defend Jobs, Defend Education’ website rounds up the evidence that more than 6200 jobs in further and higher education are currently under threat.
- UNISON’s ‘Million Voices’ campaign website helps visitors to identify local services that could be threatened by cuts.
- PCS has an excellent myth-busting factsheet on civil and public services.
- NAPO has published a report highlighting the risk that cutting probation will lead to an increase in short-term prison sentences that are less effective and more expensive.
If you’ve got other union websites you rely on for information about the cuts, e-mail us here at Touchstone – we’d love to hear about them.