Cuts Watch #162: Services in Scotland
Scotland’s Independent Budget Review has recommended significant cuts in services across Scotland. The review models the savings that could be achieved from cuts across a range of policy areas. Possible changes include:
- Reforms to the free bus pas scheme – including raising the age of entitlement, removing eligibility for people in full-time work and restricting use to non-peak periods.
- Removing free nursing and personal care in care homes.
- Introducing a flat rate fee for residential social care, or only providing five free hours of care per older adult.
- Increasing prescription charges.
- Charging for eye tests.
- The introduction of tuition fees for Higher Education.
It also presents evidence that suggests Scotland will see widespread job losses as a result of spending cuts.